Sunday, 4 October 2015


The last two mornings have been icy with frost on the grass and my car windscreen. It serves as a reminder that winter isn't all that far away. Its only 6 weeks until the race season kicks off at Beito. It's a bit of a shock to the system to have to start scraping ice fromt the car and head out training in sub zero temperatures. Indeed the last two mornings I've been cutting it fine to make it to sessions on time as I haven't allowed for the extra few minutes it take to defrost the car.

Yesterday I had my first "elghuf" session of the year at Hafjell. It is tradisjon that skiers meet at Hafjell on Saturday mornings and do ski bounding intervals up the alpine slopes. I haven't done that many ski bounding sessions this year but now I'm adding in a bit more to my training plan. I turned up at the car park at 8.30 just as about 5 other cars were rolling in. In total there were about 15 of us who turned up to do a 6x6minute session. We headed out for a 30min warm up, as we got back to the car park to get ready to start about some more people turned up. Half way through our intervals we met some people jogging down and after we'd finished we met another few people bounding their way up. I estimate that in total there was between 30 and 40 people spread across the alpine hill, bounding their way up. You start to understand why Norway is such a strong ski nation when you see so many people out training at once. I doubt there are even 30 people who regularly ski bound in Britain, yet at just one place in Norway there are at least 30 people out every week.
We were lucky enough that Petter was there to drive out kit up to the top and that the downhill mountain bike park is still open. This meant we could get changed into dry kit at the top and take the gondola down again.

Today was another frosty session. I met up with a big group to run a 3 hour loop. Petter Skinstad was the route finder and insisted on running loop that involves quite a bit of bog running. Some of us pointed out that it would be bloody baltic running through the bogs when the top layer of water is frozen. Petter insisted that it "wasn't that wet" and the water would hardly come up over our shoes. He was reminded of what he said when we were wading our way through a thigh deep bog/river that had ice siting on the top. My tactic was to go to the back and let the others break the ice up, then sprint through the water. It still took about a minute to cross the longest section deep water, a minute in 0 degrees water is plenty of time for your toes to go numb and start to loose feeling bellow the knee. After the river crossing the rest of the loop was quite straight forward.

Training has been going fairly well since the Hemsedal camp. I had to have a few rest days after the camp. But since then I've trained well and all my hard sessions have gone to plan. Everything is pointing in the right direction. Earlier this week I got a visit from Kelly, the SIS physio that works with the British Team, and my dad, the national team head coach. I did some physio tests with kelly and she did some massage work on my tightest areas, including cupping on my back. Most of the tests went well, although there are a few small areas I need to improve on before the winter. It should be possible to make a few small improvements and also keep me injury free if I keep up with my physio work.

Next week is another hard week of training with quite a few hours and 3 hard sessions. It's my last full week in Lillehammer for a while, as I head to Italy and to altitude the week after next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment